Monday, April 14, 2008

9 years ago today

Today is my birthday. Not my real birthday but sort of. 9 years ago today I realized for the first time that this is the only life I get. Without all the blah blah blah personal epiphany BS, simply stated, I've tried to live as full a life as possible since that moment. I've done a pretty good job but, as a friend often says, "there is always room for improvement." I do a lot. I go places. I meet people. I relax. I work. I am doing the best I can, even though I know I'm not.

And this is not meant to be some slag on me, though I certainly need it from time to time (I'll self administer, thank you very much), it's just that I have difficulty accomplishing everything I want. This is the worst side-effect of living a full life. There is always more that can be done. And I'm lazy too, but the problem is I think that I need to have an equal amount of downtime than the uptime. I like chilling out, watching tv, or having beers with friends. There is just so much more to work on. I have a half-written travelogue of Norway, untouched for about 2 years, also the foundation of another book, enough negatives to put together an exhibition, and what other events am I going to put out into the world? I have spent the last 9 months in such a ME ME ME state of mind (who are we kidding, I'm still there), I want to be ready. Ready for what, you ask? I don't know, but I haven't been ready for quite awhile.

I went jogging today for the first time in probably 2 months. It felt good. I needed that. Today was my birthday and how have I celebrated it thus far?

I went jogging, organized all my photocopies (about 90% organized actually) and all my folders for the classes I teach. That may not seem like a lot but that took a couple of hours at least. I also wrote in my journal.

cheers
jason
p.s. I have had a work permit in Germany for exactly 5 years as of today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home