Friday, August 31, 2007

Shanghai

A friend of mine is moving to Shanghai, China tomorrow. He's a large, blond dude who loves Brian Urlacher. He's engaged to an Australian girl. It's a new chapter in his life. I know all about that excitement but of course the only and major different in our new chapters is that he chose his and I didn't. But that's okay, they're new chapters anyway and we're both going to try and make the most of them.

I also saw another friend who I hadn't seen in awhile, a couple of months and now that there is no more smoking in bars so he has no more excuse about not coming to hang with us for football. I don't go to O'Kellys Irish pub as much as I used to for various reasons. I think the prices keep going up, the menu gets smaller and the service gets worse. I got there, went to the bar and ordered a beer. I gave him a 10-euro bill and jokingly asked if I'd be getting any change. He said, "That's a good way to get kicked out of here." I told him, "Dude, there have been plentyof guys who have been kicked out of this place but come back the next day." And he said something to the effect that that is not true. When did people get so sensitive? I caught a buzz tonight and asked the Spanish waitress in Spanish that I've known for probably 3 years if she still had a boyfriend. She said, "No, not anymore." And I replied, "How is it possible to see you without clothing?" And she said, "It's not." And it made me laugh. I love knowing other languages.

I did meet a girl tonight but it was brief and of my own doing. She was sitting two tables from Rolf, Whitney, Erik and I. We were waxing poetic about world economies, history, philosophy and the future. I kept noticing her somehow, wearing a green tanktop and her two friends were wearing black (big surprise in Europe! hahah). I saw her laughing or smiling a couple of times and I thought, Jay, you gotta go talk to her. You have no reason now not to go over to that girl, introduce yourself and ask if she wants to go out sometime. I thought about it for about 20 minutes and when Whitney went out for a smoke, I left Rolf there and went over to their table.

(in German)
Can I disturb you girls for a sec? I asked.

Uh huh.

Yeah, well, I just wanted to meet you. I saw you smiling a couple of times and thought it was really cute. What's your name?

Ina.

Jason.

I introduced myself to the other two girls so they wouldn't think (it's midnight at this moment while typing, I have an important private lesson in 11 hours) I was ignoring them. I asked where she was from.

Near Frankfurt, and you?

California.

Oh, that must be cool.

It is.

(all 3 girls laugh)

I wanted to know if you'd be interested in going out sometime.

Maybe.

Well, I can give you my number and then it's up to you.

Ok.

What do you do in Freiburg?

I study.

What?

Law.

And you don't study English?

No.

Because I'm a teacher at the university and it wouldn't be cool to date girls who are students of mine.

(One girl rolls her eyes and I call her out on it.)

Hey, I saw that. I live with 2 girls, I know that look.

(all 3 girls laugh)

----
I asked to sit for 30 seconds to give her a better chance to know if she wanted to call me or not. I stayed about a minute and had pretty good timing to get out when I did. She has my number now and it's her "beer". It's funny but I have to at least get myself out there. It shouldn't be a problem, as a wise Japanese woman, Wanaka, wrote me on rice paper:

You meet many persons and you talk them into human being.

I'm listening to live Ryan Adams from a month ago and it's perfect, meloncholy yet real. "True love aint' that hard to find, not that you'll ever know." Ouch. hahahaha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home