Wednesday, June 13, 2007

power nap of 12 minutes

My day is 3/5 over. I have to leave in 90 minutes, take a train for 18 minutes and teach two Business English classes which are 90 minutes each, wait 14 minutes and take a 20 minute train back to Freiburg, wait 6 minutes for the tram and will hopefully be home, walking up the steps to my apartment at 9.55pm.

I am sick of working nights. I have done it for nearly 4 years Tuesdays and Wednesdays and it just got old. I quit my Tuesday night class for this semester and it was a genius stroke. First, I was happy to have Tuesday evenings free and then I ended up taking a new class on Tuesday nights that is:

1)paid 30euros/hour instead of 17.50euros/hour, meaning that in 90 minutes, I earn 60 euros and with the old job I would earn 70euros. I earn 10euros less but I also work 90 minutes less.

2)It's much closer to home. Class used to end at 9pm and I would get home by 9:25pm. Now it ends at 7.30 and if I ride my bike I am literally walking up the steps at 7.36pm. Getting home at 7.40pm is immeasurably better than getting home at 9.25pm, ESPECIALLY when I have to work at 8am on Wednesdays.

3)Is through the university instead of the local night school. All of the students are ...students. There are 14 students in the class (only about 9-11 come every week) but they are from so many countries, I have to list them: Romania, Bulgaria, Spain, Burundi, Russia, Morocco, Turkey, Tunisia, Germany, Peru and a couple of others. They speak about the same English as the students at the other classes but it's more enjoyable.

I have quit my Wednesday night classes for next semester. That is huge. I am voluntarily giving up 1000euros/semester to not have to work 6-9pm in a town 15-20 minutes by train. I might be able to get another class in the vaccuum but I don't care. Right now my Wednesdays are from 8am to 12:30pm and then 6-9pm. It's nice to have the pause but I would MUCH rather get my work done and then get back to my life. I should have graded some tests this afternoon but I was so exhausted and I had no desire. I have 6 of the 66 tests done so far. I need to do about 2-3/day until July 3rd. There's a good chance that on Saturday I will spend a majority of the day (4-5 hours) and try and get 20+ done.

More of my work is uncertain. Remember, I only need about 500euros/month to live here. Naturally I need more for travel, taxes and possibly German Social Security but I could live with it if I had more free time. I have my writing projects, my photography projects and I would like to branch into more things, like promoting a battle of the bands or even a music showcase in the Fall.

I am approximately 60% done with my work week. That's good. Thursday has the return of my University classes and Friday going down to the BA in Loerrach for some business English. Saturday night is a big fashion show with 25 designers and I got a free invitation (normally 12euro) from the students who are in charge of it. Sunday will be more grading, yeah!

The Cross Section South America multimedia event is one month and one day away. There's still quite a bit to do and it's not going to be perfect but it's going to be a huge night. My 3rd annual exhibition here in Freiburg, some fashion, music, a vibe, an evening, a moment that people of different backgrounds will come together and try and have a great time. I'm excited for it but there's still a bit to do before then!

It's 3.42pm. I have 78 minutes before I have to leave again. Cheers.

3 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger jadz said...

It's amazing how you are able to compute the time takes for you to do a certain task. you make it sound everything goes in clockwork precision! :)

Speaking of which, I'd like to know which is a more cost-efficient deal for a 3D/2N temporary accommodation in Freiburg:

Euro 41.60 in a Youth Hostel (most probably a dorm) 3 km. away from the city center (how much will it take to go to and from the center?) OR

Euro 90 in Hotel Schwarzwälder Hof in the city center, with free transportation pass.

Both come with free breakfasts.

Many thanks.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Well, that's how Germany is. It is so damn organized here in terms of public transportation that you can predict, months in advance the second you will get home.

There is another hostel more in the city center called Black Forest Hostel I think and it's only about 10 minutes from the train station by fast walking.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger J said...

I have to work evenings on Mondays and Tuesdays also and despise it. I totally know what you mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home