Monday, February 05, 2007

En kniv

The things that seem to help me enjoy the smallest of moments in life is when I know that the Norwegian word for 'knife' is 'kniv', said "kaniv", like it was probably said in English 700 years ago. While I think that too much of today's life is being documented, we are sorely lacking on all things before the invention of the camera.

Last night was the Superbowl. It started at 12.30am and I got home by taxi at 4.15am. It was a tough sleep and I'm thanking my lucky stars (although I planned my stars to be lucky) that I don't have to work today, I'd be good for nothing! haha

I'm going to organize my two folders of handouts as an act of defiance against the supreme laziness. I will be lazy and productive at the same time, something that I think is where the most crucial of my work is produced that lead me to feeling like I've got stuff accomplished or not.

We actually bought a case of beer in the bar for the superbowl. 24 beers cost us 30euro (40 bucks), not a bad price to watch the superbowl in a bar.

We're going to Turkey in 11 days now, I can't believe it. We've got a couple of hosts so far and we're really excited. We love the experience of being in a new town in a new country and someone is there to meet you at the bus stop and bring you back to their house so you can sit down for 15 minutes before you are either:

1)going off to the host's sister's birthday party and we're gonna go off tonight!
2)going to cook some dinner at home and talk over some wine
3)going to eat dinner at a friend's restaurant and maybe get some drinks after
4)left alone in the house/town for the beginning because your host has to work

It's amazing because you don't know which one it will be and of course there will always be more possiblities. Man oh man...

3 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger colite said...

I don't know if it was said like that in English 700 years ago as Norwegian originates from Old Norse and English from Old English... but since the two languages met in Great Britain it's quite possible... Norwegian seems to be worth learning, though!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I guess I sometimes believe chance encounters to have a more profound impact than we occasionally give credit.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger colite said...

Ok, so I checked that and actually it's a Protogermanic word which then appeared in Old Norse and was taken up by the Anglosaxons in the 1600s when the Norse people invaded Great Britain.
So YES it's the same word BUT it was there in Old Norse first.
Quite a lot of "English" words aren't English at all, come to think about it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home