Saturday, October 07, 2006

the day after the Ryan Adams concert

The last two Ryan Adams concerts I tried to see were cancelled, last summer in Oakland and January 2004 in Cologne, the latter being my destination again for last night. Me and Kristian and some other dude who split the gas with us drove over five hours to Cologne. Kristian and I used hospitality club again, my first time using it in Germany which I believe is the 13th country that I have used hospitality club in:

Ukraine June 2004
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Norway May 2005
Ireland June 2005
Italy September 2005
Greece November 2005
Netherlands March 2006
Paraguay August 2006
Argentina
Bolivia
Peru September 2006
Germany October 2006

Holy shit, that's 14 countries. Sweet...

Anyway, we bought a couple of beers and then were off to the venue, accidentally buying a "short journey" ticket for the 10-stop subway journey, met someone from Hamburg and another from Denmark on the walk to the venue, sold the two extras I had at face with the added part that they would buy me a beer inside. I was in about the 20th row and therefore couldn't see much, just occasional headshots through the space between people's necks ahead of me but it was a damn good show. It was country and psychadelic and had some good grooves and really quiet moments and almost every song was arranged differently than normal, I definitely enjoyed myself.

We had a very smooth 4.5 hour drive on the way back but it feels good to be so close to my bed, ya know what I'm sayin?

Our apartment is still in relative chaos but I'm starting to get used to it. My roommate has the start of her big "thesis time" and is already stressed out and she was just in Chile for two months! haha I know you're not reading this blog Caro but I love ya, girl!

I want to recommend the book by Richard Clarke called "Against All Enemies - America's War on Terror". The dude worked as the Counterrorism Czar and it is his view of the past 20 or so years of how America has gotten so intertwined with a scorpion. It's bipartisan but at times scathing of how our government has decided to "condiruct" this war. I wanted to put a pargraph of his to end the blog today.

Even more damaging is the loss of creditibility the national security institutions have suffered among our own people. Americans now know that Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with September 11, that there was no imminent threat from Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, that there was a secret sticker shock about the costs of the war in lives and dollars. It is important that the trust in America's word be restored, essential that we return to deal with the real threats, because there are real threats still out there and real vulnerabilities here at home. Unless we address these real problems, we will suffer again.

This was written in 2003, about 6 months after the invasion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home