Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Day Asuncion

We are in Paragauy, simply said. Crossing the borders of Argentina to Brazil and Brazil to Paraguay were insane, running off the bus, showing passports, running back on the bus, the only reason our seats were saved were because we had big backpacks on them. We crossed into Paraguay and then I remembered that I might need to go to the immigration. Ya see, they crossed in a good hundred yards and the driver yelled out Centro Commercial and it dawned on me, hmm, we´re in Paraguay but no one controlled us. There were motorcycles and people on foot, nefarious looking folk selling anything that wasn´t nailed down. I don´t have time to get into it but we walked back, got stamped in and bargained with a taxi driver to take us the bus terminal. I was pretty sure he was driving us to a secluded area to rob and kill us but then the bus terminal appeared from nowhere.

We were about to buy tickets for a bus that was leaving in 3hours but then a dude kept yelling Asuncion and so we got on. the 5 hour journey cost 8 dollars. We stopped often and people would get on the bus trying to sell bread or sandwiches and sweets, newspapers. We bought two hard breads and later a sandwich from a person outside who shows their wares to people in the windows. Quite a system. The bus ended up getting packed. I saw a hundred pictures I could have taken of rural Paraguayan life, mostly shacks selling stuff and people sitting outside chilling in the shade and sipping their mate tea.

We arrived in Asuncion, changed money and took a taxi to the hotel. The taxi needed 4 attempts to start. We found the hotel, it cost 16.82 dollars a night roughly of course, but that price was 90,000 guaranies. We went out to a nice dinner that cost us a total of 15 bucks, saw some Mennonites in there and the owners spoke German. There´s a big presence of Germans here, well more like from 100 years ago but it was cool. We went to the Britannia pub that was having 2 for 1 drink specials and for 3 dollars including the tip we got two pina coladas. We walked back to our room and relaxed and I think I fell asleep by 9.30 or 10pm I was so tired from the day. I slept badly, and was awake at 6.30am. I went out to get us some breakfast and was able to pay in dollars. You can pay with guaranies, argentine pesos, brazilian real, euro and dollars here, is that insane or what?

We had coffee in the room and then walked around awhile, finding the slums and shanty towns behind the government buildings. I got my shoes shined for a buck, bought two leather bookmarks because I´m trying to buy only small things now and wait for the end of the trip to buy bigger stuff. We saw the president´s house and apparently he was on the move when we walked by because there were military dudes everywhere and secret service looking folk. They were still sipping their mate teas however.

We got Assiyeah a new battery for her camera and then found the internet shop. A buck an hour. We´re meeting a girl from Asuncion who can host us the next two nights. I already paid for tonight so I´m not sure about getting the money back but maybe she can help us. Sorry this seems so rushed, we´re meeting her soon and we´re starving. This is probably the least touristy place I have ever been with the exception of Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine but it´s a tight race.

All is well, we´re a bit under the weather but we´re on an adventure. My folks left yesterday, I think they´re on the plane home to LA now, we had a blast with them and they would be a bit shocked to see how much different our lifestyle is when they´re not around. My folks would not like this place too much, there´s nothing to do per se but I´m taking photos and enjoying myself nonetheless.

Much love ya´ll, we´ll be in touch!

3 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home